PAB2007 book drive for Kingston School

PAB, 21 May 2007, 12 comments
Categories: Notes, PAB2007

PAB2007 is organizing a children’s book collection for Central Public School in Kingston, ON. We ask that all PAB2007 registrants participate in this book drive. It’s simple. Here’s how.

If you have questions about the book drive, email Andrea.

Updated 070522: added procedure two

Comments

12 Responses, Leave a Reply
  1. Jim Milles
    21 May 2007, 8:00 pm

Have the librarians at Kingston Central been consulted about this? As a librarian myself, I would be ambivalent about a gift of books like this, many of which are likely to duplicate books already in the collection. It might be better to donate money and let the librarians choose the books themselves.

2. Andrea - JOMB
    21 May 2007, 8:22 pm

Good thing we’re not giving you books then, Jim.

I have spoken to the appropriate contacts at the school and have been told that all parties concerned are ecstatic about receiving 160 treasured children’s books.

I’m not sure how the school plans to use the books — as prizes for students, in classrooms or as additions to their library — but I’m sure the books will be loved and appreciated.

Of course, you are welcome to donate cash if you prefer. I for one find it so much more personal and rewarding to share one of my favourite books with a young reader.

Andrea

3. Jim Milles
    22 May 2007, 12:34 am

Andrea, I’m really, really sorry; I didn’t mean to sound like a Scrooge. If the librarians want books, of course! I’ll bring a few extras along to try to make up for my faux pas.

4. Nancy Raven
    22 May 2007, 12:05 pm

I hadn’t thought about duplication but we could certainly come up with a plan, like using them a prizes. The idea of having books come to us from many different places is exciting. We could end up with a much greater variety than if we chose for ourselves. Perhaps we could ask that participants identify where their book is coming from with their city, country and their own name if they choose. That way we will always know which books come from your conference.
    Thanks,
    Nancy Raven

5. Andrea - JOMB
    22 May 2007, 1:47 pm

Thanks for your comment, Nancy (Nancy Raven is our contact at Central Public School), and the inscription suggestion.

We’ll update the steps above to invite participants to inscribe the source (city, country and name, if they choose) of their books.

6. Canadian Podcast Buffet
    25 May 2007, 9:20 pm

[...] Inscribe your city inside the children’s book you donate [...]

7. Tommy Vallier
    25 May 2007, 10:17 pm

I’d like to propose, assuming Andrea and Nancy give the thumbs up, that if you’re hesitant about buying books, a gift certificate at a local bookstore (I’m a fan of ‘Novel Idea’ at the corner of Princess and Brock) might be a great alternative.

By getting a certificate at a local store (Which is only a few blocks from the hotel) it not only helps promote reading at Central Public, but helps promote our local economy as well. Books purchased could then also be inscribed with the city of the person who gave the certificate.

Just a thought from the local.

8. Andrea - JOMB
    26 May 2007, 9:31 am

Tommy,

Is there a way to purchase gift certificates from Novel Idea online? It will likely be tough to carve out time to make the short walk up to Novel idea (aren’t Brock & Princess parallel, by the way?) during our fun-filled podcasting weekend.

9. Tommy Vallier
    27 May 2007, 9:06 pm

Andrea, I highly doubt it (They’re a small local store) but I’ll bike down tomorrow and find out.

I could always set up a ‘purchase by proxy’ as well. I trust the Canadian podcasting community (Being the crazy fool that I am) and could bring certificates with me on the Friday night and collect payment then.

I’ll swing by the store tomorrow and see if I can’t set something up with them.

Tommy

10. katherine
    06 June 2007, 9:32 am

Could you refresh my memory as to the age/grade levels that are at Central Public — I thought I remembered K-Gr. 6 from one of the CPB episodes, but not having kids I’m not sure exactly what age range that includes.

Thanks!

11. [...] You must donate a newly purchased children’s book to the PAB2007 book drive for Kingston’s Central School (see details [...]

12. C.C.
    12 June 2007, 2:08 pm

I’d love to take part but won’t be at PAB. Is there an address we can send books to?